Friday, September 24, 2010

RUGBY..A MANS SPORT PSH!!

Earlier this year I got the chance to try a new sport, the game of RUGBY. I was so not into playing sports like this in high school or even after college cause it looked so brutal people getting hit in the mouth and breaking teeth, Breaking bones, getting hurt and even death!! I'm so not into those kind of sports lol, but tackling people made me think of it as a good stress reliever not like hurting them but just playing the game. I was kind of tired of always playing volleyball playing the same people everyday and wanted something new, so I decided to go and run with a team called the UTAH PINK PANTHERS just so I could start getting in shape and running cause the fatness was not the business especially when it's hella hot lol the only down fall was getting hella dark but I risked that chance especially for this lol!!
After a week of running with the team I started falling in love with the sport and decided to join the team " I was officially a PINK PANTHER" I didn't know very many people on the team but I didn't want that to hold me back from playing and being active, plus my husband would always tell me to go make friends lol. After that first week of playing we were offered to play an experienced team from provo called the PROVO LADY STEELERS I remember watching them play at last years Tongan festival vs the SLUGS after my grass volleyball tournament I did laugh a lil bit when I saw girls playing saying how crazy they are and it's a man's sport but you know now that I have been playing It sure isn't when I went up to provo with a couple other girls we were combining with some of the college teams but I was so nervous to play I had to pee every 5 minutes lol(consider that I just started that same week lol) but after I got my first hit I was ready for some more action lol, more teams were formed in the Salt Lake area and it was so exciting I had family members playing on other teams and was so ready to kick some butt other teams that were formed was AMAKA, LADY LIONS, SPARTANS, MAJESTICS and UPP. The women on my team and the other teams play hard and that's why I love it everyones playing to WIN no kind of fighting like the mens do and we act like ladies (well some don't but majority do lol) I think it actually brought the polynesian community closer together and it's great cause there's so many different Poly cultures in UTAH.

Playing with the UTAH PINK PANTHERS...WOW!! what can I say about this group of ladies they have taught me so much in these past couple months that I could've never thought I could see in myself I love the girls on my team there are my sisters and I would do anything for them. I had the honor in being the team captain and it wasn't easy different opinions and backgrounds these ladies have is what taught me patience and view others point of view rather than my own. Some were very competitive and would get very aggressive to a point where they take it as their responsibility to win the game for our team. Then there were others who just wanted to play and have fun but WINNING would be a bonus but every game I always here "IT'S FOR THE LOVE OF RUGBY" I can say I'm a bit of both I try my best to win and find ways to work together as a team to win and also yell to motivate others to play better!! That was my #1 goal as captain was to make sure I didn't put anyone down and motivate them to the best of my ability. I had help from other girls as well they are all awesome and I can't wait for next summer when our team is back in affect.. I love this sport and anyone that say's this is a MAN's SPORT PSHHH! come out and play the womens teams and we'll show you that women CAN play HOORAH!! NBFR.. I love my team they are like my second family we may have problems but who doesn't it only makes us stronger!!

2 comments:

Latu said...

amen, pearl. so good to hear your perspective! are the upp just playing summers?

12/13/2008 said...

not sure I'll for sure know by tomorrow at our team BBQ.. you should come by if your not doing anything.. i miss it so much I might just hop with a team just to play during the fall..